Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Finally Free and Paying It Forward!

Just finished up my out-of-class final for the 17th Century/Age of Milton course. Wrote lots about erotic desire in Donne's "The Flea" and "Holy Sonnet 10" (the 'batter my heart, oh three-personed God' one) and Milton's Samson Agonistes (much better than Paradise Lost, if you ask me). I'm beat, and I know more about Donne's and Milton's psycho-sexuality than any country boy should. I'm getting so good at the 17th century, I'd make it my focus if I wasn't so attached to feminist theory, modern drama, white trash studies (yes, this sub-genre of cultural studies exists), and poetry writing. Which takes me to my next point.

I am inspired by the seasonal generosity of Steph and Donna so much so that I want to participate in this paying it forward thing. Since I have no cool ARCs of Neil Gaiman books to give away, nor am I adept at knitting, sewing, and various other handicrafts, all I have to offer are my word crafting abilities. Therefore, following Donna's model (she's such a trend setter!), I promise an original Tim Sisk poetic creation for the first three readers to comment on my blog.* I promise I won't burden you with any surly teenage-ish "but why doesn't he love me?" rag. I think I grew out of that when I was 22 and a half (wink). Really, I'm not a half-bad poet, I swear. To sweeten the deal, I'll even throw in an NYC trinket.** So go ahead and comment....you know you want to.


*I fear I've opened up a giant can of insecurity: What will I do if I don't get three comments? (write a poem about it)
**This promise is entirely contingent upon how reckless of a spender the Big Apple makes me.

5 comments:

Amanda D Allen said...

I would be honored to have a genuine Sisk poem written for me. And if the Big Apple so inspires you I would love a trinket as well. We're moving there after graduation so it would be like foreshadowing. That is just too cool!

Amanda D Allen said...

Sesame Workshop doesn't know that I'm working for them yet, but that's the plan. When we started looking into it, Mike got excited about CUNY. It is now the plan. We don't have jobs or a place to live, but we're going anyway.

Jennifer said...

I miss you terribly. Please write an original poem for me. It will make me feel special.

Jennifer said...

dammit. i have the most common name on earth. jennifer richardson, just to clear things up.

Monda said...

White Trash Studies. I've been majoring in that most of my life.

Have a delightful trip and don't forget to spend more money than you have. It's the American Way.