Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Gender Defender!; or, why I'm well on my way to becoming a gender studies scholar.

For an outside-of-class mid-term exam (for which I wrote 13 pages!), I wrote on the topic of constructions of masculine identity in four early- to mid-American plays--Royall Tyler's The Contrast, Langston Hughes's Mulatto, Eugene O'Neill's The Hairy Ape, and Clifford Odets's Waiting For Lefty. As usual with anything I write, but particularly with literary analysis, I thought it was the most horrible text ever written and that I'd surely make a B--grad school's equivalent of a "go work at Wal-Mart" admonition--and my academic life would be over in the profoundest sense. I blame No Child Left Behind for my irrational fear of failing tests.

Anyway, I got my exam back today, and I did much better than I thought. I wasn't unceremoniously slung from the halls of academe, and my professor--who is the nicest man you ever will meet--had this to say about my exam:

Excellent exam, Tim, really excellent. You have a nuanced sense of how gender definition and dynamics play out within the broader social sphere. Great job!


Did you catch that--nuanced sense of gender? My God, I've been waiting my whole life for a man to tell me that.

Please forgive the blatant self-promotion, and join with me in celebration of an exam well-done, a good semester chugging right along!

How are your semesters going?

5 comments:

Laura said...

An irrational fear of tests is not confined to the NCLB generation. It belongs to insecure class-jumpers everywhere.

; )

Jenn said...

Good work!

And the irrational fear of tests is not really a fear of the test itself, but of the grade. You see, you take an exam and know you could have done better, so in your mind, you're assigning yourself a worse grade than a less biased critic would. :)

Nevertheless, I'm sure you deserved it...hope your semester keeps going well.

Monda said...

Way to go, Tim!

I'll knit a cape especially for you with a big "G.D." on it.

Wait...

StephanieV said...

Yayyyy Tim!!!
Steph

Joshua Robbins said...

Well done sir, and don't let them tell you a B's the end of the world. It's about the learning, right? At least, that's what I keep telling myself...