Thursday, August 7, 2008

Even artichokes have hearts

In an attempt to outrun the emotional onslaught of too many goodbyes too soon, I came back to Mississippi on Tuesday under the pretenses of celebrating a friend's birthday then attending a wedding this weekend. Well, I guess those aren't total pretenses, because they are true. I celebrated a friend's birthday on Tuesday night, and I'm attending a wedding tomorrow. But I sure as hell haven't outrun the heartache.

With so much going for me, so much in the works for my future, I should be plumb ashamed that I pine over the dissolution of my favorite Grad School Group, that I can't help but feel like things Will Never Be The Same. I know things won't be the same, but they'll get better. They always get better, and I always find myself somehow the happiest I've ever been. It's really the best place to find oneself.

But still, for now, I'm sulky that my friends are gone, and I'm doing something about it: calling and texting too much, spending too much time out on the town with other friends, not returning emails. These are my coping mechanisms, y'all. What are yours?

In other news, my poem "When Boys Discovered Flowers Would Get Them Into Girls' Pants" has been selected for publication in the upcoming anthology, Splinter Generation. Check it out, and many thanks to Steph for sending me along the call for submissions.

4 comments:

Candance said...

YAY for getting published again!! You are so cool!!

I'm sorry about your friends leaving, though. It'll get better because you seem like a fun guy and people will want to hang with you! I'd hang with you if I was young and in grad school at UT!

Emily said...

That Splinter Generation is a wonderful concept....and I want to read that poem of yours ASAP

Monda said...

I'm so proud of you, Mister Sisk. Do let us get a look at that poem soon.

Candance said...

I got one of those award things where you pass it on to five more bloggers and I gave you one cause you're all cool and stuff. The details are at my blog.