Sunday, August 12, 2007

Life without Walmart and Community

Okay, okay, as a self-avowed liberal and a graduate of the UCA Honors College, you'd think I'd detest the evil champion of globalization that is Walmart. The truth is, though, it's the store I love to hate. I mean, I'm well informed on how the corporation neglects its employees, drives local businesses out of the market, and horribly rapes the environment. But, I can't shake the fact that Walmart is a special place for me, a big blue battleship full of nostalgia. See, here's the story.

My parents divorced when I was 3, and I remember visiting my dad every other weekend. We had a routine, because my dad is big on routines. On Friday nights, we'd have pizza and rent movies, and Saturdays we would go to the Big Star in town for groceries. This was back in the early nineties when all Olive Branch, Mississippi had was a dollar store and a Big Star. On Sunday mornings, after he'd taken my great-aunt to the Methodist church, Daddy would take my brother and me just across the state line to the Walmart on Riverdale Drive in Memphis. We'd shop for things, like paper towels and soap, and Daddy would always buy me a little something, a matchbox car, a new backpack, whatever my "need" was for the day. After that, we'd have breakfast at the McDonald's across the street.

So, you see, my life has been seriously influenced by American corporations, Walmart cheif among them, and I've never lived anywhere without a Walmart within a five minute drive. But here in Knoxville, which is the biggest city in which I've ever lived, I've driven all around my neighborhood and can't find one. I needed lots of things, like groceries and toiletries, so today I went to Kmart (which is also quite a nostalgic place for me) and Kroger. But I can't shake the fact that I probably would have saved a little money on my purchases if I could have just found a Walmart. Well, maybe not that much. I always wind up buying things I don't need there.

Please excuse my rant. Write it off as something a bored extrovert with no friends yet occupies his time with.

Tomorrow, bright and early, I begin my first day of graduate orientation. Then I will meet all the new MA English students and the old ones, too. I'm terribly excited about it. I think I'll even iron a shirt to wear for the event! Mary Ruth promised me instant friends when I got to grad school, and I assure you, I'm ready for some. I've been here two days without any interaction to speak of (I did meet my neighbors--a Ph.D. candidate in Forestry from China and his wife. Wonderfully nice.), so I'm ready to put my people skills to work!

I'm still thinking of you all, and missing you daily. I'm sure my homesickness will pass in a week's time, though. Again, happy trials to all of you!

1 comment:

Laura said...

You'll meet people quickly. This summer I was in a similar situation, and within three days of class starting, we were sharing class notes and in-law stories.

Go to a gift shop and find some Alphabitch stickers. Those are quite the conversation starters. That worked even better than talking about the crazy professor that we shared.