Sunday, October 21, 2007

Last Shopping Trip

Jenn tagged me. Get ready to hear about my grocery shopping excursion yesterday!

Here are the rules:
The purpose of this meme is to inspire some reflection about how we shop and what we purchase. The idea isn't that consumption itself is somehow bad, but that we all could probably stand to put a little bit more thought into what we buy. And, of course, it's supposed to be fun. So here goes!

Pick a recent shopping trip -- for clothes, shoes, groceries, doesn't matter. The only guideline is that it will be easier to play if you purchased at least a few things. Now tell us, about your purchases:

1. What are you proud of?
I went grocery shopping with my friend Jenny yesterday. We went to the vegetable stand right across the street from my apartment complex. I knew I had to use up some carrots and chicken broth in my fridge, so I decided to make soup. I bought lots of veggies, but I guess my proudest purchase is butternut squash. I bought one a couple weeks ago and had no idea what to do with it. I searched recipes online and found a great one for roasted butternut squash soup. It was delicious, but I wanted to put my own spin (and make a lighter version). So, that's what I did.

2. What are you embarrassed by?
Nothing really, though I am wondering why I bought such a large bundle of fresh parsley. Looks like I'm going to be parsley-ing it up this week!

3. What do you think you couldn't live without?
Well, I guess I couldn't live without anything I bought since it was food, and I've got to eat. But really, besides the parsley, I think I was a smart produce shopper this week. I used almost all of my ingredients in the soup. Usually when I by produce, it spoils before I use it all up, like the tomatoes and cucumbers wilting away in my crisper drawer even as I type.

4. What did you most enjoy purchasing?
I guess the parsley, just because it made me feel so gourmet.

5. What were you most tempted by? (This last one may or may not be an actual purchase!)
I almost bought a jar of locally produced honey and some pastries from a local bakery that were conveniently displayed beside each other. But then I remembered that I'm on a very fixed income, I have honey, and I had all the ingredients to make a sweet treat (I'm a sucker for sweets). So I skipped those items and came and made brownies.

Now tag 5 others!

Dear, I don't think I have anymore regular readers of my blog that Jenn hasn't already tagged! Um, Laura, you haven't updated in a while. Maybe tagging you will give you an incentive!

No comments: