Monday, October 29, 2007

Teaching at Tennessee--Day 1

(I'm unsatisfied with the title of this post, but it beats what I had originally called it--"Adventures in Teaching." Sounds too much like an 80s teen movie to me).

At the NWPCA Summer Institute back in June and July, I read an article by an English teacher who'd kept a journal of his classroom experiences over the years. He even included some excerpts from the journal as he discussed how reflecting on his days in the classroom made him a better teacher. I thought his idea was brilliant, and I vowed then and there to keep a journal of my teaching experiences once I began working as a way to reflect on my strengths and weaknesses in the classroom. Besides, who doesn't love a good teacher story? I suredo, and I hope you do, too. Here's the rundown of my first day:

I woke up extra early this morning so I wouldn't have to rush around my apartment pulling up my pants, searching for my keys, and eating a bagel simultaneously while racing the clock to make it to school on time (like I do every other morning). In the chaos, I invariably leave some essential book or assignment behind, realizing its absence from my heavy black bag only after I've already made it to campus. (Man, if you only knew how many times I've had to run back home for a textbook this semester...) The extra time was a good idea. It gave me a cushion to run back home if I needed to (I didn't), and also to pump myself up for the day by jamming out to electronic dance music in my underwear while I fixed my coffee.

I dressed up for the occasion, which if you know me at all means I just wore khakis instead of jeans, a polo instead of a t-shirt. I'm not one for ties, jackets, etc. I did, however, wear my black dressier (but not quite dress) shoes, because they make me about half an inch taller. Even though I have a good rapport with my class, I still felt power shoes would boost my confidence, and, at 5'6'', I'll take any help I can get in the height department.

I got to class early and went over my notes for the Rose and Ehrenreich readings I assigned. I borrowed (because 'stole' is such a maligned word) your idea, Josh, of writing questions on the board, dividing the class into groups, and having each group respond to a different question. It went pretty well. I did have to walk from group to group and clear up some points of confusion, but that may be because they are freshmen and because I tend to ask complicated questions. We did, however, have a great discussion on low wage work.

I think what made the discussion work so well was the fact that our readings--which dealt with waitressing and working at Wal-Mart--were easily accessible for the students. Half of them currently are or in the past have been servers. Another few have experience working in retail. When I realized the wealth of first hand information sitting at the desks before me, I ran with it. Today I learned that Alex is a waiter at a Mexican restaurant, where a table of 6 left him a 15-cent tip Friday night, and Dallas works at Wal-Mart, where everyone hates her job but can't afford to quit. I also shared some of my tales of low-wage job woe, specifically about my stint working at Subway, where one learns there is no creative license allowed when making a sandwich: 3 tomatoes on a six inch, no more than 2 cheese triangles, etc. In my description of the job, I actually said "sandwich artist, my ass!" which, of course, made my crowd of 18-year-olds giggle gleefully. (Note to self: drop a curse word or two into class discussion and you'll have the students eating out of your hand).

The thing that is most exciting about my teaching experience is that I got kids who never talk in class to come out of their shells a bit and participate in discussion. I really don't know how I did it. Maybe by asking questions. Maybe by sharing my work experiences they knew they could be comfortable with me, that I'm one of them (though this notion worries me, because I don't want to be too much like them. I don't want to be their friend). But anyway, in a moment of serendipity, two students who never talk in class spoke up, and they made really interesting comments. I was quite impressed with them.

I learned a great lesson today: students don't respond the way you think they will. I was so sure that they would find Ehrenreich's piece too polarizing, especially since she talks about Wal-Mart employees' need of a labor union (dirty words down South), but they really connected with the reading. I think it was her tone, her harsh matter-of-factness. Teenagers love to be jarred. I'm actually quite excited they liked the excerpt so much, because next year I plan on teaching Nickel and Dimed in my 102 course, and I have hope that maybe my students will really take to it.

On the schedule for Wednesday: Gen Y work ethic and career outlook. Here's to hoping it goes as swimmingly as today's class!

1 comment:

Monda said...

Keeping that classroom journal is essential, and I'm glad you're doing it. I still pull my out every now and then to remind me how far I've come.

And to remind me of the students. Don't forget to chronicle them, because you'll remember them forever.

What an adventure, Tim.