Tuesday, November 6, 2007

"locking me to you/ As if we were still twenty-two"

Remember those 6-10 lines? Well for the past five days or so, the strangest images have been popping up in mine: emo (girl-jeans-wearing, chain-smoking, angsty-poetry-writing) boys and (this is outta nowhere) Toad Suck Park. Last night I tried to write the emo boy poem. I used a picture to inspire me. I got some good language on the page ("a close rubbing-up-against in the mess of my generation dancing like a pow wow on X), but the poem still needs direction. I woke up this morning thinking about who I could read to give me a model for where to go, and I automatically thought of Thom Gunn.

Gunn approaches homoerotic desire and situations in his poetry very directly, but he's not as crass as, say, Allen Ginsberg (no Howl-ing images of "angel headed hipsters fucked in the ass by saintly motorcyclists" in Gunn's work). I thought I'd check out some of his poems to see how I can deal with the similar theme going on in the poem I'm writing.

What I discovered is I don't like the way Gunn does what I want to do. I don't like his use of heroic couplets and ABAB rhyme scheme. I do, though, like how he manages to expand the situation from one erotic moment to something larger, more affecting. That's why I'll share this poem with you:

The Hug

It was your birthday, we had drunk and dined
Half of the night with our old friend
Who'd showed us in the end
To a bed I reached in one drunk stride.
Already I lay snug,
And drowsy with the wine dozed on one side.

I dozed, I slept. My sleep broke on a hug,
Suddenly, from behind,
In which the full lengths of our bodies pressed:
Your instep to my heel,
My shoulder-blades against your chest.
It was not sex, but I could feel
The whole strength of your body set,
Or braced, to mine,
And locking me to you
As if we were still twenty-two
When our grand passion had not yet
Become familial.
My quick sleep had deleted all
Of intervening time and place.
I only knew
The stay of your secure firm dry embrace.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tim!!! I didn't know you had a blogspot. I'll keep an eye on it from here on out.

Joshua Robbins said...

Tim, D.A. Powell too. But Man with Night Sweats is too good to pass on.

Tim Sisk said...

Hey Whit--definitely keep an eye on me. I'll return the favor :-)

Thanks for the suggestion, Josh. I checked out some of Powell's stuff. I really like [this is what you love: more people. you remember]. Wish I'd have known about him when I was doing my undergrad thesis last year. Not so sure I'm trying to get at the same thing he does, but, my god, how can you not love the desire to pick up strangers in taxis and shirley temple all in the same poem?