Saturday, May 10, 2008

Trash Rises


Okay, I admit it. The summer so far is wonderful. Lazy days spent with my pen to the page, nose in a book, or butt in the kitchen (my three favorite alone activities) sprawl into late nights dancing ecstatically at holes-in-the wall or on front porches in Fort Sanders. It's all I dreamed it would be back in late March, when I. Just. Couldn't. Take. It. Anymore. Tonight I'm attending a "White Trash Bash," where I will wear a sleeveless, stained Boomsday t-shirt from 2000, denim cut-offs, and a "Preferred Insulation and Fireplaces" ball cap while swilling cheap beer and grooving to some R.E.O. Speedwagon. And Confederate Railroad, since I like my women just a little on the trashy side.

In honor of the trash-tacular events planned, I share with you a (shitty) first draft of a poem that might be a little creepy, but shouldn't raise any concerns. Unless of course those concerns are about the quality of writing, in which case, please share your constructive criticism.

“Lovely Boy with Sleeve of Tattoos”

You are not the rebel

You want to be.

You are rebel enough for me.

Oh, trick-jumper,

Bicycler,

Why do you buy your mushrooms and weed?

Things don’t make you eccentric but

Ideas, boy,

Notions of love,

Untenable actions of your taught, lean frame.

You are more vulnerable than

You think you are

You are vulnerable enough for me.

Sparrow tattooed,

Pocked pore face,

Come.

We can explore eccentricity.



P.S.-- Don't you think "On Front Porches in Fort Sanders" would be a great title for a poem?

4 comments:

無料提供!!情報商材・商品徹底分析!!(初心者向け) said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Abigail said...

a. no, it doesn't
b. i like the line breaks. make "trick-jumper, bicycler" one line and the same with "boy, notions" and i think "tattooed, pocked" should be one line (just my humble suggestions. i know nothing about poetry)
c. no, you aren't a pedophile.

also, i like the title. maybe it'd be better without the word lovely?

Candance said...

Hey, the party your going to tonight sounds just like my family reunion!

I like the poem, and I'm not a big poetry person.

Unknown said...

you stole my picture, you fucking cunt? without even asking me....