Thursday, July 31, 2008

Charlotte told me C.D. Wright is kind of a bitch

But I love this poem, the idea behind it, that it's driven by personal disclosures. I'm going to write the Tim version of this poem, and I'm going to disclose odd things, true things, entirely too many things. Just to see what happens. Watch out, y'all.


Personals
C.D. Wright
Some nights I sleep with my dress on. My teeth

are small and even. I don't get headaches.

Since 1971 or before, I have hunted a bench

where I could eat my pimento cheese in peace.

If this were Tennessee and across that river, Arkansas,

I'd meet you in West Memphis tonight. We could

have a big time. Danger, shoulder soft.

Do not lie or lean on me. I'm still trying to find a job

for which a simple machine isn't better suited.

I've seen people die of money. Look at Admiral Benbow. I wish

like certain fishes, we came equipped with light organs.

Which reminds me of a little known fact:

if we were going the speed of light, this dome

would be shrinking while we were gaining weight.

Isn't the road crooked and steep.

In this humidity, I make repairs by night. I'm not one

among millions who saw Monroe's face

in the moon. I go blank looking at that face.

If I could afford it I'd live in hotels. I won awards

in spelling and the Australian crawl. Long long ago.

Grandmother married a man named Ivan. The men called him

Eve. Stranger, to tell the truth, in dog years I am up there.

2 comments:

Tricksy Pixie said...

Oooh. I love this. Good luck on your personal version, can't wait to read it if you post it.

Monda said...

Anyone who want to meet ANYONE else in West Memphis for a good time is highly suspect. That's all I'm saying.

Can't wait to read the poem you make.

Your Word Verification thing is spitting out heavily Latino-inspired syllables today. Just thought I'd add that.