Friday, July 11, 2008

Do the Whirlwind

I've been quite the man about town this week, y'all. I got a little dab of culture on Wednesday when, walking to the farmer's market in Market Square, I saw a sign for free admission at the Knoxville Museum of Art. I decided I'd make a detour on my way back from the market, and with a canvas bag full of white cucumbers, fresh peppers, and a $5 loaf of bakery fresh whole grain bread in tow, that's precisely what I did.

The museum has four galleries, so it's on the small side, but one of them is dedicated entirely to East Tennessee art, and I enjoyed that. Local art really helps me get the home-feel of a place, and Knoxville is feeling more and more like home for me. The collection ranged from folk art (which I proudly admit to admiring) to more traditional oil-on-canvas type stuff. I'm sure there's a more precise term for what I mean, but I don't know too much about art, and I'm moderately ashamed.

But only moderately.

There was also photography exhibit called A New Tribe which featured photos of local women of color and their bios underneath. Interesting photos, and I even knew one of the women featured, but the best part of the entire exhibit was Ms. Nancy Taylor Hawes' bio indicating her position as Deaconess at Zion A.M.E. Chapel and Licensed Exhorter. I thought I'd found my new calling until I did some research and realized these licentiates don't drive demons from the damned and suffering. Guess I'll stick with being an English teacher.

Since yesterday, I've been hosting an old college friend whose coming to UT for his Master's in English in the fall and an old high school friend who wanted an excuse to get out of Mississippi for the weekend in my cozy, one-bedroom apartment. Having house guests usually stresses me out, but these two are phenomenally easy to deal with, the types who don't constantly need to be entertained because they like to venture out into the city on their own. So that's what they are doing while I'm at work in the Writing Center for Athletes And Athletes Only (and they will kick you out if you are not one, dammit. Ludicrous). It's a pretty sweet job, though. I get paid to be available if a football player needs help with a paper. But they never seem to need help, so I blog. Or read. Or daydream about being a homeowner.

It's been a whirlwind week, and next week's only going to get twistier. But I'll just dance right on through with my best shoes on. You should join me.



P.S.-- Crazy Texas Mommy, when are you going to tell me about your jaunt in East Tennessee? And pix of you in the Dolly clothes ASAP!

2 comments:

Emily said...

those football players probably don't show because "why would i need help to copy and paste?"

Emily said...

By the way the captcha thing to post that last comment was diknibs...I love word verification