Sunday, September 9, 2007

I love NPR and grocery shopping

I do. They're a couple of the perks of being an adult that I actually enjoy. In fact, I listened to "A Prairie Home Companion" while driving to the store today, and I was almost tempted to keep driving so I could hear the rest of the show. I feel so high brow when I listen to NPR and buy whole wheat bread, two things my parents never did while I was growing up. It's as if I'm making my own adult habits, doing the little things that make me neat and will make my future nieces and nephews think I'm so cool. (Case in point: my aunt used to eat turkey hot dogs and drink Tab, and I thought she was so cool as a kid, since my mom didn't do either of those things.)

I'm growing out my facial hair (and it looks yucky, just like it did a year ago when I grew it out) in an attempt to make myself feel older, and thus be tricked into thinking I'm grown up enough for this graduate school thing. It's so reddish, though, not dark brown like my hair. It makes me think of peach fuzz, and I might have to break down and dye it. But I have a bad history with hair dye, and I'd rather not take that route if I can avoid it.

I think I'm going to break down and read a few chapters of _Song of Solomon_ tonight. Though it's not assigned reading, the novel is on the Master's Reading List (and I love Toni Morrison), so I think I can convince myself it's okay to take a reading jaunt in another century (GOD, how I miss the 20th Century!). After all, it's not really pleasure reading, right?

3 comments:

Jenn said...

That poem was lovely. Thank you so much for sharing it!

Eric B said...

Ah, adulthood. NPR is one of the better aspects of it. Glad to hear you're enjoying your new start on life in grad school. Good luck.

Michelle Underwood said...

Oooh, redbeard. How adorable. Some of us go to lengths to make our hair very un-brown.