Thursday, September 27, 2007

Fall, come before I Break.

I am looking forward to fall break. I need it oh so badly. I don't care that when I come back, papers will begin, grading will begin, the end of the world as I know it will begin. I just want to take a few days to go home, see my family, friends, and dogs, and of course shop at thrift stores and read a book for fun. I'm sure most other 22-year-old men would want more excitement out of their vacations, but catching a movie with friends, eating at a restaurant with my parents, reading a novel for fun--all of that sounds like paradise.

Next week is going to be hell, pure and simple. I have a 15 minute presentation in my Milton class on Debora Shuger's article "Gums glutinous heat." It has something to do with Puritanism and chastity in the masque, Comus. My professor promised me the article gets a bit kinky. I told him to bring it on.

I also have to prepare for my midterm in that class, due Oct. 8th. I'm scared, because I just haven't been pulling together all the reading so that it makes a statement I can write an essay about. Maybe a review of my notes will enlighten me.

I also have plays to read, critical articles to summarize, poems to read and write, and a meeting with the director of graduate studies to plan my schedule for next semester. Then, I have to fight with financial aid (I know it will be a fight) to get my promissory note signed so I'll get my loan money in a timely fashion and pay off my New York trip. (I'm going to New York over xmas break, by the way. 7 days, 7 plays, 3 hours of graduate credit. I can't wait!)


Grad school is wonderful; I really feel like I'm learning a lot. But it really is hazardous to my health. Wanna know how many hours of sleep I got last night? 4. Wanna know what I ate for dinner tonight? Mac and cheese I whipped up in the short break I have between my Renaissance class, which is over at 5 and my Poetry class, which starts at 6:30. I feel like I'll self-destruct in 30 seconds.

This weekend, I'm going to the farmer's market, whipping up some vegetarian dishes (from my new vegetarian cookbook!), and maybe going for a hike on Saturday with some English grad students. I'm definitely going to the Greek Fest (www.greekfesttn.com) tomorrow night with a bunch of my colleagues, and I plan to gorge myself on spinach pie, lamb, and baklava. Interestingly, one of the MAs is the priest at the Greek Orthodox Church in town, where the festival is being held.

4 comments:

Laura said...

You sound as busy as I am!

Since Bonnie (Dr. Selting) left, Joanna Caster Post was given charge of the Writing Center, with me and Jennifer Deering, so it will be a team effort. We are going to be doing some really interesting stuff through the writing center, including making an online version and partnering with some area high schools to provide some services. We will also be coordinating concurrent enrollment (dual enrollment, whatever you want to call it) and doing some professional development with some of the high school teachers. I am really excited about all of this, but, wow, does it take time.

Good luck on your presentation for Milton. I am sure you will be fabulous. I've never seen you be anything but.

Michelle Underwood said...

New York City! Which plays?

Michelle Underwood said...

New York City! Which plays?

Jenn said...

Okay, Lemon cake--I liked the look of this recipe:
Lemon Cupcakes
12 regular cupcakes / 350 degree oven

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup milk
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
zest of one lemon

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. Measure out milk and vanilla.
5. Add flour mixture and milk alternatively, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
6. Mix in lemon juice.
7. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.

(this is from the cupcake blog, which I adore, so it's meant for cupcakes, but I'm sure you can make it into a cake. I like her ingredients--and it's fairly simple! Let me know if you need any cake baking advice, and once you make one sans Betty Crocker, you'll be hooked.