Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Mississippi bound

Fall break has officially started, and I'm about to leave Knoxville and make the seven-hour trek back to DeSoto County. My mom told me Monday that she's divorcing my stepfather and they're selling the house I grew up in. The divorce should be final mid-December. I don't know when they'll put the house on the market; it needs cosmetic work.

I'm not really connected to that house like I used to be. Sure, I grew up there. And it's always been a symbol of stability standing in the background of my transient life over the past four years. But, I haven't lived there in so long, and I've lived in so many different places since living there, that it doesn't feel so much like "home" anymore. Home for me is people. Home is my trashy-wonderful family, my colorful friends. At least that's my working definition this week.

So I am looking forward to this trip back to those people who have made me who I am. It will be nice to relax after a stressful but exciting half semester of grad school. I plan on eating lots, sleeping more, visiting, shopping, and of course slipping into my thick and comforting Southern drawl. Diphthongs, here I come!

But, honestly, I'm glad I come back here on Sunday, back to the life I'm creating, and I'm learning to enjoy.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Oh, Tim, I am sorry to hear that. It is hard enough to face new situations without the old ones going and changing when you're not there!

I should, of course, be grading, but am reading your blog instead, just because I want to. : )