Saturday, June 7, 2008

Mr. Sisk Goes to the Doctor

Mr. Sisk was in absentia yesterday. No, it's not what you think. He didn't decide he couldn't handle teaching the confused and attitudinal youth of Knox County. In fact, the more he thinks about it, the closer he comes to deciding that's exactly what he wants to do when he finishes school. But Mr. Sisk had to miss school yesterday because he had a 24-hour stomach bug.

I'll stop with the 3rd person references for clarity's sake.

Stomach cramps woke me in the middle of yesterday night and I was unable to sleep due to frequent trips to the bathroom. Around 4:30 a.m. I finally dozed off, only to wake again at 6:00 to get ready for school. I still felt queasy, but I thought "I can do this," so I got up, showered, dressed, and began preparing myself for the last day of my first week of teaching. I felt like I might vomit the whole time, but decided to eat a little something in order to calm my stomach. I settled for some ice water and a bite of banana. Almost immediately, I lost my breakfast. After moving to the couch where I lay nauseated and guilt-ridden for fifteen minutes, I called the director of Project GRAD and apologized profusely for my absence and left detailed instructions for what I expected my classes to do while I was out. Then I called the doctor and snagged an 8:45 appointment.

One Phenergen, 2 sprites, a half a liter of Powerade, and 14 hours of sleep later I'm a new man. I feel much better today, and that means I can get around to the household chores I've been putting off. Pile o' laundry, prepare to meet the washing machine. If I'm lucky, I might even get to go see Sex and the City with Laura this afternoon, and tonight I'll hopefully find something fun to do with my friends. Yesterday was the first time I'd stayed home exclusively for more than 5 hours in a very long time. I needed to cool my wheels, but I'm ready to get back into the game today.

I'll share this funny anecdote before dashing off to the Laundromat:
Yesterday on my way home from the doctor, I stopped at the Pilot station across the street from my apartment complex. It was around 9 a.m., and an old man in front of me purchased two 12 oz. cans of Sprite, a tallboy Busch, and a tallboy Bud Ice. When I got to the counter with my Powerades, I asked the cashier if folks came through here this early buying beer on a regular basis. She responded, "It's all these apartments around here. Folks that don't have to work *knowing eye squint*." Then she gave me a copy of the newspaper for free and told me to have a good day. For some reason, whether it be her tone of voice or the fact that I live in one of those apartments around here, I got a kick out of her response. And I got a free newspaper, which makes everything sweeter.

3 comments:

Candance said...

I wrote you a whole long big comment and forgot to push submit because Max likes to sit behind me and he was kicking me in what I am relatively sure is my kidney, and now I can't remember what I said. It was something about the greatness of Phenegren (sp?) and it's wonderful sleep producing effects and making sure you're tummy is 100% before Sex in the City cause she's long and by the end my innards were ready to fall out. Well, crap a chicken, I can't remember all of it. It was probably entertaining, though.

Abigail said...

i'm glad you're feeling better. :D

Laura said...

Tim,
Go volunteer in a school on afternoons when you don't have class. Get your fix that way. I just spent a week with a group of fantastic high school English teachers who were, to a person, so jealous of FERPA that they could hardly stand it.

Just say no to the insanity of public schools. Come on, you can do it. Say no.