Monday, June 16, 2008

Until August, Mr. Sisk

I finished up my summer teaching stint last Friday. No more waking at 6:00 a.m. until August. Well, that's probably not accurate either. I teach afternoon classes next semester, and the earliest class I'm enrolled in begins at 11:10. Ah, graduate school.

I'm gonna miss my students from Project GRAD. They were a rowdy bunch, but they were good kids on the whole, and I really believe they've got what it takes to be successful in college. I'm glad I had the experience working with three different classes, because it taught me that just because something works well in one class doesn't necessarily mean it will in the other. One class was a dream, one class was more often a nightmare, and one class was usually somewhere in between. I'm glad I got to experience the full range. I think I might be doing this again next year, and despite your best efforts to convince me otherwise, Laura, I want even more to be a high school teacher. So that's what I think I'll do for a little while after the MA, then see if I feel so inclined to go on for a doctorate.

I'll leave you with a picture of me and my 8 o'clock class, the dream. These kids really shocked me. Starting out as my worst behaved group, they really came a long way by the end of the program. I'm so proud of all of them.

2 comments:

Abigail said...

:)
i'm glad you enjoyed your stint as mr. sisk.
you'll be a wonderful teacher.

Laura said...

I only try to talk you out of teaching high school because I care about you. *sigh*

Students who give up their summers to be in a program for at risk youth are generally pretty good kids. They are giving up their summers to go to school.

I'll stop. I am not going to talk you out of anything...

Just take a classroom management class, okay? Alternative certification programs don't always spend enough time on classroom management (I do know several people who have been through those).

*shaking head*