Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Finding my subject matter.

My nice friend Josh praised some poems I read at the grad student poetry reading the other night, and while I appreciate his praise and vastly respect his advice, I am frustrated with my work nonetheless. I feel like I'm stuck in a rut where all I can do is the white trash poem. Okay, so white trash is my thing, and I love a good jarring line about a son smoking pot with his mom as much as the next person, but I keep wondering if I can successfully execute any other type of poem. Because I've been trying, and I don't think I've been successful.

Here's the poem I turned in for my poetry workshop this week:

The Problem of Evil

Unlike other avian,

The male emu neither eats nor drinks

Nor defecates. For eight weeks

He incubates greenblack eggs,

His fertile spouse breeds others

Lays everywhere.

The Father

Is easy to overlook in

Child-rearing is

Easy to blame when a bad egg hatched

Scrapes deep marks in forearm skin

With the force of filed nails.

I do not believe in God every day,

And I won’t blame him

Desire, deep water,

Evil inside my piece of the universe.

The male,

In order to feel adequately masculine

Must distinguish and differentiate

Himself from others.



Now, it seems to be working at getting around to something, some idea about how evil happens in the world but it's not fair to blame it on God. Perhaps maybe it even wants to suggest that evil is not the problem the poet should address; perhaps there's an issue darker than evil. Monda read the poem and told me it wasn't finished yet, and she's right--like usual. I knew that it needed more when I turned it in tonight, and that's bothered me all night. So I revised, and what do you know? The poem seems to get at the heart of a deeper issue much better, but guess what theme pops up in it--the trashy family.

Maybe that's what I'm supposed to write about at this point in my life. It's much easier to process the situations I've found myself in with relationship to my family when I'm so far away from them. I just don't want to become a trope; I don't want to become a poet who can only write one poem.

Anyway, here's the revision. Which do you like better?

The Problem of Evil

Unlike other avian,

The male emu neither eats nor drinks

Nor defecates. For eight weeks

He incubates greenblack eggs,

His fertile spouse breeds others

Lays everywhere.

The Father

Is easy to overlook in

Child-rearing is

Easy to blame when a bad egg hatched

Scrapes deep marks in forearm skin

With the force of filed nails.

I do not believe in God every day,

And I won’t blame him nor

My father for

Desire, deep water,

Evil inside my piece of the universe.

My mother

Is a woman who cannot make

Herself happy. She works

Scantily and lives on charm.

Two men love her and

She is a she-bird on the move.

The problem of evil is

Not my father’s.

He takes her back each time

Her other lover squanders his

Affection on some addiction.

She is not wrong

For wanting love.

They are not wrong

For loving.

The male,

In order to feel adequately masculine,

Must distinguish and differentiate

Himself from others.

My mother’s lovers

Are different men,

Not bad men but

Opposite in respect to

All things but

The problem of love.

3 comments:

Laura said...

You know, my knowledge of poetry is totally based on reading poetry, 'cause I can't write it for crap.

But run your course with your white trash thing. A lot of successful poets write one subject until they are done with it. And then they are done. Heaven knows Yeates rewrote revolution enough.

I would guess that you have something that you are trying to capture that you haven't captured yet. When you capture it, you will look for something else (and find it).

I am trying to write my home. And that keeps me from writing other things. And I am not sure that I can write it until I come to terms with it.

So, yeah. So much for encouragement. Why don't I just give you a nice papercut and rub lemon juice in it?

Joshua Robbins said...

Tim, I've been feeling much the same way about my own subject matter, that I always write the same kind of poem, same subject matter, etc.

Last night in fact I was going through poems that were 5, 6, 7 years old and saw a strong thread of style and imagery running from then to now.

While some may scoff at that and say one must always be inventing and evolving, I have to ask them what that means.

Take a look at Charles Wright, for example. Huge difference formally and stylistically between Hard Freight and Southern Cross. Huge! But the subject matter's still the same.

I got into it once with a professor at my MFA because they said that Charles Wright "is just writing the same poem over and over again." Well, what's wrong with that? Some damn fine poems.

For me it comes down to a question of sensibility, to one's form and architecture, to the measure that lives in your bones. There's nothing wrong with having a certain style, an ethos. The problem comes when you bar other subjects from becoming a part of your angle of approach, if that makes any sense.

Monda said...

It's the workshop thing, Tim. You can try on other voices and themes and styles because it's good practice and it stretches you as a poet. It's an exercise, though. Open up any literary magazine to a random page and there's that voice, that poem.

Remember when you talked about using your Mississipi trailer voice at home and your Honors College voice in your classes? Well, I think this poem is a good example of your MFA voice.

It reads like someone duct-taped your hands. Tear that shit off and go write the poem.

And you know I say that with love.