Monday, February 18, 2008

Inquiring minds want to know

My dear friend Whit (who is way cooler than me) tagged me in a vicious blog meme cycle. Since TMI is my forte, I present to you 7 random things about myself.

Here are the rules:

1) Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
2) Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3) Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4) Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.


1. I call my maternal grandmother Muffy. I bet your grandmother's pet name isn't as interesting. The story goes, when my uncle was a teenager he used to poke fun at her when she nagged him by saying "Oh, be quiet, Muffy." The name stuck, and it re
ally suits her well.


My mom and Muffy
(they'd kill me if they knew I posted this picture)

2. I love Southern colloquialisms. You know, those trite-but-humorous phrases often of objectionable content (it's colder than a well digger's ass, it's raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock) or quizzical origin (you betcha, Red Rider). My favorite is this one: "I'm hell when I'm well and I ain't never sick." That one held up for me until my first sickly winter in East Tennessee.

3. I enjoy Pabst Blue Ribbon, usually for 75-cents a pop on Thursday nights at Mellow Mushroom. You should come--they have a blue grass band!


4. As a child, I wanted to be two things when I grew up: a chef or a hairdresser. Momma wanted me to be a preacher. I've settled on teacher instead, though what I'd really like to be is a local celebrity. A big fish in a small pond, if you will.

5. I speak two languages: The classroom please-think-I'm smart one, and the diphthongy I'm-from-Mississippi one. I find the latter seems at odds with the former, and I'm learning to be okay with that.

6. On Friday night, February 22, at 6 p.m., I'll be reading my creative work as a part of the GRAiL reading series in McClung 1210. You should come hear my voices compete in a battle to the death as I say what Momma said not to.


7. I'm a rule breaker. There, I said it. Please don't tell my daddy since he is a law enforcement officer. As a rule breaker, I will therefore not abide by the aforementioned guidelines posted in the rule list for this meme. I ain't tagging anybody. But if you want to play, feel free. Just remember to tell me you've accepted the challenge.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice, Tim! Thanks for playing along.

I thought it was all very interesting, as I knew it would be.

Laura said...

I don't know the one about the well-digger, but I know the one about the witch's nether regions.

My maternal grandmother is Mamaw, which is more southern than Muffy, but not as cute.

As always, entertaining post.

Abigail said...

this reminded me of my favorite tim sisk story ever (you'll have to just imagine tim's voice):

"abby, my mom has this picture above her toilet and it has a squirrel on it, he's eating an acorn. below that it says "sometimes people need love the most when they deserve it the least" and i really believe that."

:)
i love you.