Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Poetry

Abby is my best friend, and she sent me this poem all the way from Conway, Arkansas, yesterday just to brighten my day. Now, I pass it along to you, all the way from Knoxville, Tennessee, in hopes that it will brighten your day.

"Poetry" by Pablo Neruda

And it was at that age. . . poetry arrived
in search of me. I don't know, I don't know where
it came from, from winter or a river
I don't know how or when,
no, they weren't voices, they were not
words, nor silence,
but from a street it called me,
from the branches of the night,
abruptly from the others,
among raging fires
or returning alone,
there it was, without a face,
and it touched me.

I didn't know what to say, my mouth
had no way
with names,
my eyes were blind,
my soul,
fever or forgotten wings,
and I made my own way,
deciphering
that fire,
and I wrote that first, faint line,
faint, without substance, pure
nonsense,
pure wisdom
of one who knows nothing,
and suddenly I saw
the heavens unfastened
and open,
planets,
palpitating plantations,
the darkness perforated,
riddled
with arrows, fire and flowers,
the overpowering night, the universe.

And I, tiny being,
drunk with the great starry
void,
likeness, image of
mystery,
felt myself a pure part
of the abyss,
I wheeled with the stars.
My heart broke loose with the wind.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that poem. It really describes the effect poetry has on people and how it could even turn someones day around.

Laura said...

I am so flattered that you liked my line. Feel free to swipe it. Heaven knows that I will be doing nothing with it. My blog, random as it is, is about the closest I get to writing.

I enjoy reading your observations so much, especially the ones on southern white trash culture.

Anonymous said...

Hi, just me again. I was just wondering if their was any poem of yours that you would like to put on my website? Peace

Monda said...

Ah, Neruda. He's the mackdaddy of love poetry, you know. Those South American boys know how to turn a phrase. Read "The Queen" and you'll see what I mean.

Only poetry like that could make a troll like Neruda so very lucky with the ladies.

J Adamthwaite said...

I love the last verse of this poem. I wish I could read Spanish. I wonder if anything of Neruda's poetry is lost through translation.

Hello, by the way. I'm not quite sure how I stumbled here, but stumble I did...

Abigail said...

you had me hooked with the first four words of this post. :)